Thursday, August 11, 2011

Don't be a drag, just be a queen.


Where were you when Mr. Gay Netherlands was announced? Wherever you were you missed a glorious twink named Tom get crowned the best looking gay male in the country. His trophy? Techno. That´s every Euro´s prize whenever a festival commences. When in doubt, pump those hard core beats and let the techno orgy take over. Why does everything always end in a techno party anyway? I know European’s love techno more than mayo on french fries but I thought that all the gays want for their Christmas is Mariah Carey.


Gay pride weekend is every homosexual´s X-mas, and at the least very happy place to be. All the fags there were smoked, or smoking hot depending on how you view the word while subsequently turning Amsterdam the color rainbow. Although Holland only has one queen, this weekend there were thousands. A city wide party that was basically an ode to Gaga as everyone is beautiful in their own way so everyone should know that they were born this way. It was truly something else as all wakes of life flooded the streets wearing less than the most of the girls.

The best part of the weekend (besides the Techno in drag) was the gay pride canal parade. Thousands of people filled the canals to watch 72 ultra gay boats pull through the Prinsegracht canal. They had a boat for everything: gay cops, positive and proud, young and gay, gay in the military, gay superheroes, gay dance teams, and even the gay youtube channel. Sounds impossible right? I have footage to prove it. Unfortunately stupid blogger isn´t letting me post any of them. It was big, it was gay, it was an experience.



Ok, truth be told the real best part of my weekend was when this super hot gay guy winked and pointed at me. I know I shouldn´t get excited about a man eye flirting with me, but you know what, it felt good. Gay guys are notoriously the better looking of the two sexuals, so the fact that I was even in the conversation increases my self esteem more than it should. I get why gay guys like me though, I´m a bear. I am big, hairy, muscular (it´s my blog!), and have great hair (again, my blog).


I had an incredible summer, but when people ask me one of the things that I did I will have to say that I rode a girls bike in a sweatshirt in the middle of august on the way to a concert that may or may not have been popular in the mid 80's in a town that most people in Amsterdam have never heard.
37 minutes later: Leaving this horrible concert was thankfully welcomed by the usual sight of cold weather and rain that was actually better than the show itself. If it wasn't for the Napoleon Dynamite clone I would have left 36 minutes before that. Instead of spending the evening with Good Charlotte I choose to send us to the east of Holland to an obscure concert set in a town that has residual memories from my childhood.

To be a little philosophical here, that's the beauty of traveling though, you win some and you lose some. Sometimes you end up in Hengelo, sometimes you get pointed and winked at by a gay male, but regardless of the highs or lows its the adventure that counts. Life´s a mess, we are just doing the best we can to make the most of it..A very unwise traveler once said: if anything, you get a good story.

I´m back in Amsterdam now, safely away from suckiness, and off to a traveling festival that has a silent disco. I hope their playing techno.



Aloha means goodbye folks.



- Foxx





Quick Bonus Random Tangent:

Broke my 2nd camera in 3 years on vacation, with the third camera being ruined by my mother. Sigh.

Spent a few days on the far west of Holland in a very tiny beach town, its always a funny feeling being on the edge of a country and being the only ones who are American. And it´s not just because you are always being looked at, but because you so far connected from everything that seems routine.

I met a follower traveler who brought new meaning to the term “Nurse a beer”. This guy didn´t only nurse it, but he sang it a bed time story and tucked it in for bed. Good guy, but he started drinking a beer at midnight, carried it all the way back to the apartment, nurse, sing, tuck, and eighteen hours later took it out of the fridge and finished it. Didn´t even bother asking how it tasted, rather how can I be such a good father like you.









1 comment:

  1. Dude, we can really do with some pictures now man..

    Ow, and did the second cat ever turn up again?

    ReplyDelete